Yesterday the #NRA called for armed police in every school in America. Okay. I ran the numbers.
$22,820,413,712 per year.
That’s $23 billion a year. Every year. Not including costs dedicated for startup and training.
- Total Number of US K-12 schools in 2010 (National Center for Education Statistics): 132,656
- Number of Armed Police Officers per School: 2 (Assume extra curricular activities & summer school are worth keeping safe).
- Median Police Salary in 2010 per Bureau of Labor Statistics: $55,010 not including benefits (assume 1.35 increase for benefits)
- Cost of Shared Police Patrol Vehicle: $45,000
- Cost of two sets of Anti-AR15 personnel armor: $19,000
Oh how silly of me. I forgot to include the costs of their new firearms. Clearly they must at least have an AR-15 to at least equal the firepower of their enemy combatant. How much is one of those? $1500 each. So 2 for each school. Plus ammo at $125 a box (let’s say four boxes) a school, so that adds $3500 per school (conservatively).
This adds another half a billion to cost ($464,297,000). Nice windfall for the gun manufacturers and their lobby, the NRA, eh?
OOPS. The NRA mentioned “volunteer” guards as an option. What a lovely scenario! The evil government will get amazing reliable accountable professional dependable security, equipment, vehicles, and man-hours FOR FREE and wont have to spend a taxpayer dime, but the volunteers will still have to purchase the AR-15’s and ammo for the cool half a billion.
Perfect Wayne! Well played.